Moving into a new home is so exciting! However, the stress of packing and unpacking can put somewhat of a damper on that excitement. Taking steps toward unpacking can make moving in a little easier.
Have a Plan
You’re surrounded by boxes after finally moving into your new home and think: “What do I do first?”
- First, cleaning your new home before your move-in date will help out tremendously. This way, it will be spic and span and ready for you and all your things when you arrive.
- Next, unpack and set up your bedding. No matter what else you unpack on that first day, you’ll still need a place to sleep that night. So, after a long day of moving into a new place, you’ll be thankful to have a bed ready to fall into.
- After your bedding, get out all your other necessities. This includes your toiletries and bathroom items, as well as things you’ll need in the kitchen, like cups, plates, and silverware.
- Since the kitchen is a lot to unpack and can be tiring, only get out what you’ll need that day. Save yourself some stress, and leave the rest for a day when you have less to do.
- Now, you can start putting things in place. Organize your big furniture pieces where you want them. Put some clothes in the closet. Maybe even organize a shelf or hang something on the wall to give your new place a homier feeling.
More Move-in Tips
- Try your best to only unpack one room at a time. This isn’t always entirely possible, but focusing on one room at a time will help you organize and decrease the chaos.
- To avoid distraction, don’t set up the television or games right away.
- However, it may be a good idea to unpack a few toys if you have young children. This can help keep them entertained while you get some work done.
- Consider packing a “necessities” box or bag complete with toiletries, a change of clothes, and anything else you might need on hand for move in day.
- If you like a certain way you have something set up in your current home, take a picture of it before you pack up so you can replicate it in your new home.
- Color coding your boxes by room can help with organization.
No matter how you unpack, remember that having a plan takes a lot of stress out of moving and lets you focus more on the excitement of living in your new home.